Sunday, November 29, 2015

FINAL PROJECT




The problem that we had with mid-term project was we needed the cells to be puffed up but they were flat. There are different ways to fix that problem. I used extrude point for each cell. But again there is a problem with that which is when you apply extrude point it becomes pointy and not smooth. In order to make them smooth I used the Wblaplace. Using this battery you can make your Object smoother. But it takes a lot of process capacity on the computer so you have to be cautious about the numbers. 

Note, just because I've changed the way that I made the model with since midterm, I have to explain in from the scratch again.


Following picture is the short form of the final Grasshopper file. In upcoming pictures and descriptions you will see different stages in the process.


For the first step I found these two pictures on the internet and I used them to shape the main object, as you can see one of them is a plan and the other is a section. We need three shapes to make an object with sweep 2, two rails and one section. Therefore, I used the plan shape for the section and the section shape for rails. 

Plan

section

three shapes used to create the preliminary object

What I needed to do nest was to use Sweep 2 and make the preliminary object.
Using sweep 2 to kae the object


Main object after sweep 2

Then, I used the "Launch Box Diamond Grid" battery to create the diamond shape cells instead of having rectangular grid. 

Using "Launch Box Diamond Grid" to create a diagonal network of lines instead of a rectangular grid

The only thing crucial here is the numbers for U and V. Again, I used pictures and real documents to make sure that it looks like the real stadium as much as possible.

Afterwards, in order to make those cells puffed up. I had to use "Extrude Point" battery. But the problem with that is I needed a point and a surface to make that happen. By this time I only have the surface, i don't have the point to extrude to it. 
In order to create those points, I used "Area" battery to create centroids, bt still, it is not enough, because it is on the surface. I needed it to be 3 inches above the surface. 
Using the Area Battery I have the centroids but it is not enough.

To move these points away from surfaces, I used the move batter but again I need a vector for the moving direction, I could not use the Z axis because cells on the side need different axis. Actually what I need was a vector that acts and a normal for each and every cell. So I  put a point in the center of the imaginary sphere that that stadium is a part of, then created a vector from the center point to each centroid.


Creating a vector from center point to each centroid

These are the vectors that I needed

After moving the points based on the vectors, I used extrude point and then WBlaplace to make the object smoother.

this battery makes the object smooth.


Using V-ray and 3d Max I was able to make these renders, I couldn't make them any smoother, because my computer would crash every time.














In this video you can find out how every step works on a real time manner.









No comments:

Post a Comment